This VIB package provides a VMware Tools service (vmtoolsd) for running inside a nested ESXi virtual machine. The following capabilities are exposed through VMware Tools:
- Provides guest OS information of the nested ESXi Hypervisor (eg. IP address, configured hostname, etc.).
- Allows the nested ESXi VM to be cleanly shut down or restarted when performing power operations with the vSphere Web/C# Client or vSphere APIs.
- Executes scripts that help automate ESXi guest OS operations when the guest’s power state changes.
- Supports the Guest Operations API (formally known as the VIX API).
For more information:
- A VMware product on the host that is compatible with VMware Tools 9.7.
- Nested ESXi running vSphere 5.x
VMware Tools for Nested ESXi can be installed on any ESXi 5.x guest. This Fling is packaged as a VIB that can be installed using the esxcli command from the guest's ESXi shell (which can be enabled in the DCUI under Troubleshooting Options).
There are two methods in which you can install the VIB:
Option 1 - Download VIB and upload to an ESXi datastore:
Download http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxi_tools_for_guests/esx-tools-for-esxi-9.7.0-0.0.00000.i386.vib and upload to an ESXi datastore
esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/[DATASTORE]/esx-tools-for-esxi-9.7.0-0.0.00000.i386.vib -f
Option 2 - Install directly from VMware.com (requires internet access from ESXi host):
esxcli software vib install -v http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxi_tools_for_guests/esx-tools-for-esxi-9.7.0-0.0.00000.i386.vib -f
To uninstall the VIB:
esxcli software vib remove -n esx-tools-for-esxi
Jim MattsonVirtual Machine Monitor