The VMware OS Optimization Tool helps optimize Windows 7/8/2008/2012 systems for use with VMware Horizon View. The optimization tool includes customizable templates to enable or disable Windows system services and features, per VMware recommendations and best practices, across multiple systems. Since most Windows system services are enabled by default, the optimization tool can be used to easily disable unnecessary services and features to improve performance.
You can perform the following actions using the VMware OS Optimization Tool:
- Local Analyze/Optimize
- Remote Analyze
- Optimization History and Rollback
- Managing Templates
New for version 2014!
- Updated templates for Windows 7/8 – based on VMware’s OS Optimization Guide
- New templates for Windows 2008/2012 RDSH servers for use as a desktop
- Single portal EXE design for ease of deployment and distribution
- Combination of Remote and Local tools into one tool
- Better template management, with built in and user-definable templates
- Results report export feature.
Various bug fixes, usability enhancements, and GUI layout updates.
- Windows 7, Window 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012
- NET Framework 3.5, SP1.
Note: .NET 4.0 does not cover .NET 3.5 SP1. If you have only .NET 4.0 or 4.5 installed, you still need to install .NET 3.5 SP1. By default .NET 3.5 is installed on Windows 7. For Windows Server 2008 r2, it's a Windows feature and you can enable it without additional download.
- Download file from Download button
- Double-click to install. Follow instructions from there.
The VMware OS Optimization Tool guide and the Remote Analysis Tool User Guide are both available from the Download drop-down menu.
- Add feature "product compatibility". A dialog is added before analysis to ask user for in-use VMware products/features. The information is used to tweak optimization items. For example, if Persona Management is selected, the expected status of Volumn Shadow Copy service is AUTO, rather than the default DISABLED. Currently the configuration covers only Persona Management and View 5.3 Fixpack.
- Add template capability: default selection state (XML attribute of step node: defaultSelected). You can specify which item is not selected by default in a template.
- By default, item "Disable Windows Firewall Service" is not selected, and the severity level has been lowered from MANDATORY to RECOMMENDED. Disabling Windows Firewall prevents some software from installing correctly.
- Fix optimization items
- Customer Experience Improvement Plan (CEIPenable)
* Disable Diagnostic Service Host (WdiServiceHost)
* Interactive Services Detection (UI0Detect)
* Disable Windows Media Center Network Sharing Service (WMPNetwrokSVC)
* Fix blank items
- Add MasterTemplate back. This will fix the error message when using Remote Analysis.
- Minor model dialog tweak for progress bar dialog.
- Update manifest for OS compatibility.
- Include build version. So you can identify whether the tool you have has the correct level.
Jack McMichaelDesktop Product Marketing