The VMware OS Optimization Tool helps optimize Windows 7/8/2008/2012 systems for use with VMware Horizon View. The optimization tool includes customizable templates to enable or disable Windows system services and features, per VMware recommendations and best practices, across multiple systems. Since most Windows system services are enabled by default, the optimization tool can be used to easily disable unnecessary services and features to improve performance.
You can perform the following actions using the VMware OS Optimization Tool:
- Local Analyze/Optimize
- Remote Analyze
- Optimization History and Rollback
- Managing Templates
- Windows 7, Window 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012
- NET Framework 3.5, SP1.
Note: .NET 4.0 does not cover .NET 3.5 SP1. If you have only .NET 4.0 or 4.5 installed, you still need to install .NET 3.5 SP1. By default .NET 3.5 is installed on Windows 7. For Windows Server 2008 r2, it's a Windows feature and you can enable it without additional download.
- Download file from Download button
- Double-click to install. Follow instructions from there.
The VMware OS Optimization Tool guide and the Remote Analysis Tool User Guide are both available from the Download drop-down menu.
For more information, please see the Windows Optimization Guide (PDF)
Windows 8: hide fast user switching
Windows 8: disable welcome screen
Windows 8: change item recommendation level: Disable Windows Update service: recommended -> Optional. Update description.
Windows 7 & 8: Fix item: "Disable IPv6", according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852
Windows 7 & 8: Add optional item to disable visual effects. By default these items are NOT selected.
Windows Server 2008-2012: add item to disable Windows Update service.
[Template & GUI]
Windows 7-8 template has been separated into two templates.
Template is automatically selected based on the target OS (for both local analysis and remote analysis)
MasterTemplate is removed
Remove description column in history view
Remove template content view on remote analysis panel
Rename most of optimization items. Sort items in alphabetical order
Simplify the GUI. Two "Set" buttons have been removed. The XML content is update on the fly with user input.
Mandatory fields are marked with a red "*"
Add a new field: default selected
Add a new Save button, which is enabled for custom templates, and is disabled for built-in (readonly) templates.
Context menu added for each step node
Add menu item Remove for group node
Disable Remove button for the top level
Adjust column width for better text display
Prevent user from removing top level group node
Update up and down icon
Label icon now has the same context menu as label (tree view)
Field Step Type has been removed for group node (unnecessary)
Title of HKCU operations has been changed according to command name (LOAD/UNLOAD), for consistency
Missing icon on optimization result
- Add feature "product compatibility". A dialog is added before analysis to ask user for in-use VMware products/features. The information is used to tweak optimization items. For example, if Persona Management is selected, the expected status of Volumn Shadow Copy service is AUTO, rather than the default DISABLED. Currently the configuration covers only Persona Management and View 5.3 Fixpack.
- Add template capability: default selection state (XML attribute of step node: defaultSelected). You can specify which item is not selected by default in a template.
- By default, item "Disable Windows Firewall Service" is not selected, and the severity level has been lowered from MANDATORY to RECOMMENDED. Disabling Windows Firewall prevents some software from installing correctly.
- Fix optimization items
- Customer Experience Improvement Plan (CEIPenable)
* Disable Diagnostic Service Host (WdiServiceHost)
* Interactive Services Detection (UI0Detect)
* Disable Windows Media Center Network Sharing Service (WMPNetwrokSVC)
* Fix blank items
- Add MasterTemplate back. This will fix the error message when using Remote Analysis.
- Minor model dialog tweak for progress bar dialog.
- Update manifest for OS compatibility.
- Include build version. So you can identify whether the tool you have has the correct level.
New for version 2014!
- Updated templates for Windows 7/8 - based on VMware's OS Optimization Guide
- New templates for Windows 2008/2012 RDSH servers for use as a desktop
- Single portal EXE design for ease of deployment and distribution
- Combination of Remote and Local tools into one tool
- Better template management, with built in and user-definable templates
- Results report export feature.
Various bug fixes, usability enhancements, and GUI layout updates.
Jack McMichaelDesktop Product Marketing
Nan WangDesktop Product Marketing
Shaojie LiDesktop Product Marketing