|Note: The functionality of this Fling has been integrated into the product vSphere Mobile Watchlist in app stores.
In order for you to access vCMA, you will need to deploy a virtual appliance; call it the vCMA server. The vCMA server must be connected to VMware vCenter or any of the ESX servers that you want to manage. Once the server component is set up, you can manage your datacenter from the convenience of your mobile phone.
The vCenter Mobile Access server is packaged as a virtual appliance. The username/password on the appliance is root/vmware but console access should not be required. The root password should be changed after install.
Download the distribution zip file from vmware.com (the file is approximately 350 megabytes). The zip file contains the appliance OVF file and other system files.
Follow these steps to install the Mobile Access appliance:
- Extract the zip file to a temporary directory, for example c:\temp. The files contained in the zip file include :
- Launch the VI Client and log into your ESX box or vCenter instance.
- In the inventory view, select the menu File-> Virtual Appliance -> Import
- Select the option “Import from file” and browse to the OVF file, for example: c:\temp\vCenterMobileAccess-ovf\vCenterMobileAccess-188.8.131.52.ovf and follow the wizard next steps.
- In the “End User License Agreement” page, read the license agreement completely, click on the “Accept all license agreements”, and continue the steps.
- In the “Name and Location” page, provide the name for your virtual machine.
- Once the wizard completes, a virtual machine will be created. Select the virtual machine and power it on.
- Once it powers on, you can access the web application from your mobile device browser using the URL http:///vim.
Once connected, you will see the login screen where you can provide the vCenter or ESX IP address or name as well as username and password.
Updates in Version 184.108.40.206
- Enhanced security model by making https the default connection
Updates in Version 220.127.116.11
- vMotion support for the vSphere iPad Client v1.2
- Incremental task progress
- Support for ESX 3.5