This is a PowerShell script written to help customers validate their environment and assess if it is ready for a 5.1.x upgrade. The script checks against known misconfiguration and issues raised with VMware Support.
This script checks the Windows Server and Active Directory configuration and provides an on screen report of known issues or configuration issues, the script also provides a text report which can help with further trouble shooting.
For more information, read New Fling: vCenter 5.1 Pre-Install Check Script
The following system requirements will need to be met for this script to run correctly:
- Windows 2003/ Windows 2008/2008 R2 on 64bit in a domain environment.
- .Net Framework 3.5.0 or above
- PowerShell 2.0 or above
- PowerShell must be able to run scripts (Execution Policy must be assigned correctly)
- PowerCLI 5.1 is required for an upgrade scenario.
- PowerShell must be launched as Administrator
- Run in 64 Bit PowerShell (Do not run in PowerShell (x86))
Because this is a script, it's incredibly easy to run this script.
- Download the script file to the local disk
- Launch PowerShell from the start menu
- CD to the location of the downloaded script file and launch the script, for example:
- PS C:\>cd Scripts
- PS C:\Scripts>.\PreInstallCheckv2.ps1
- The script will run and a graphical application will be launched
- If this script is being used to check an upgrade of vCenter from a previous version please enter the hostname of the vCenter server in the text box provided, if this is not the case then do not change this box
- Click “Run Checks”
- Once completed it is suggested you check each result box to find the result information and click the “More Information” link to read more information about this potential issue.
Note: Results may vary and some checks may not work on systems configured with IPv6.
Alan RenoufInfrastructure Product Marketing