Onyx is a standalone application that serves as a proxy between the vSphere Client and the vCenter Server. It monitors the network communication between them and translates it into an executable PowerShell code. Later, this code could be modified and saved into a reusable function or script.
To run Onyx you must have the .NET Framework 3.5 installed. If you do not have the .NET 3.5 framework, please visit the Microsoft website to download the distribution.
In order to install Onyx, complete the following:
- Download the zip from the download section.
- Extract it to a folder of your choice and run Onyx.exe.
- To connect to a server, click the following icon *
- Enter the IP of the vCenter Server on which you want to work and click Connect.
- Connect with any of the following clients:
- For vSphere Client in the "IP Address" field enter the following address: http://[IP of the machine where Onyx is running] : [listening port]
- For vSphere PowerCLI, run the following command: Connect VI Server [IP of the machine where Onyx is running] - protocol HTTP - port [listening port] -User[username] -Pass[password]