Latency Sensitivity Troubleshooting Tool
- Python script that runs on ESXi to check virtual machine and physical NIC (PNIC) configuration to monitor host, virtual machine, and PNIC performance.
- Python program to process traces from pktcap-uw for a ping workload and print time spent in ESXi on the receive path, time spent in the virtual machine, and time spent in ESXi on the transmit path.
- A simple C program demonstrating the trace format generated by pktcap-uw. The C program was tested on an x86_64 Linux virtual machine.
- Example SystemTap scripts to break down ping and netperf TCP_RR latencies inside a Red Hat Linux guest. These scripts were tested on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 virtual machine.
- scripts/latsenscheck.py requires an ESXi host running vSphere 5.5.
- Python version 2.6.8 or later required for the Python scripts.
- Other scripts and binaries can run on x86_64 Linux hosts with some modifications. The scripts were tested on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 virtual machine.
- Unzip files.
- If using SystemTap, modify the SystemTap files based on the module symbols of interest and the TCP/UDP ports of interest.
Look for more detailed information in the download.